Please follow this exactly step-by-step. If you get lost, please reread the step until it makes sense. If you don't understand
something or you get hung up, e-mail us. It may help to print this out or copy the text into another program so that it is
easier to view. Click on the Watch-Now graphic to watch the installation step movie video clip. So, let's get
Please note that the logging out or restarting is important. Mac OS X loads/unloads components much like OS 9 loaded
extensions. It does this only at startup or logging in. YOU MUST DO THIS!
First, if you have a previous Grammarian PRO X installed, run the Grammarian Uninstaller that is located in the same
folder as the currently installed Grammarian application. This will insure a clean install.
---- INSTALLING GRAMMARIAN PRO X
Now, let's install a new Grammarian PRO X.
1) From your GrammarianPROX.dmg file, drag the Grammarian PRO X folder over to the
Applications folder on your OS X drive.
2) Run the Grammarian™ application. Grammarian will ask you to install an Input Menu into your
components folder. Click "OK". Then, Grammarian will tell you that it successfully installed the component. Next, Grammarian
will you ask to log out or restart.
3) Now, click Log Out or Restart.
4) After the computer logs in or reboots, open System Preferences from the Apple menu on the far
left-hand side of the menu bar.
5) After the System Preferences window opens, select the blue flag icon, International (in Mac OS X 10.5.x) or Language & Text (in Mac OS X 10.6.x) from the System Preferences panel.
6) Select the Input Menu (in Mac OS X 10.5.x) panel tab or Input Sources (in Mac OS X 10.6.x) panel tab.
7) Click the checkbox for "Show input menu in
menu bar" to ON meaning the checkbox has a check mark.
Now, look for the item called "Grammarian". It has a check mark icon in front of its name. You may have to scroll down the list
to see it.
Steps 7, 8, 9, and 10
- QuickTime movie
8) Click the checkbox for the Grammarian item to ON meaning the checkbox has a check mark.
9) A FLAG icon should now appear on the menu bar. The flag icon appears on the right side. See it? If a flag icon DOES NOT appear on the menu bar, try switching a couple of the other languages on/off by
clicking on their check boxes until you see a flag icon appear on the menu bar. Another shortcut trick reported to us by Joan
Mumbauer, a registered user, is: "After you check the Grammarian box and the 'Show input menu in menu bar', hit
apple, option, and space bar. This automatically puts the pencil in the menu bar."
10) Go up to the flag icon and click on it. Do you see an item named "Grammarian"? Select the Grammarian menu
11) Grammarian should be activated, and the flag icon turns into a reddish-brown check mark icon. A pencil
should appear on the menu bar. The pencil is Grammarian's menu. Click on the pencil icon. This displays all of Grammarian's
functions. That's it. You've done it.
LET'S CHECK SOME SPELLING AND GRAMMAR
1) In the Grammarian™ X Documentation folder in the Grammarian PRO X folder
(Applications folder), double-click on the All Grammar Examples.rtf document to open it into TextEdit.
2) Once the document is open, go to the Grammarian pencil menu and select "Check All...".
3) Grammarian now selects all your text and brings up a spelling/grammar check window.
LET'S SET UP INTERACTIVE CHECKING
Grammarian's pencil menu will indicate a yellow color if interactive spell checking is on, a green color if interactive grammar
checking is on, and a yellow-green color if both are on.
1) Turn on interactive spell checking by selecting the Interactive Checking submenu and then
selecting the Spelling menu item. Grammarian's pencil menu turns yellow. This indicates that interactive spell
checking is on.
2) Next, select the Auto-Show Spelling item from this same menu. An underline marker on the
Grammarian menu indicates Auto-Show Spelling is on.
3) Open a new untitled document in TextEdit and type a misspelled word such as "seef" into the document. The
interactive spelling window automatically shows to make a correction. Press the command key and the number "1" key. Grammarian
will retype the correct word "see".
4) You can set up interactive grammar checking in the same way.
The installation is somewhat tricky. But, once you get it, it sticks. Also, the next time will be easy. Remember, if you have
any problems, e-mail us.